Grain crops

Grain crops farms in the USA, typically start their planting in the spring (April/May) and will be harvested by fall (October/November) but it may varies according to the weather.

On the Corn Belt (Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Eastern Nebraska) common crops are corn, soybean, and wheat on a crop rotating system. Small grain crops are commonly produced in the Great Plains region (Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota).

During the training period, 20% of the time will be directly involved with planting and harvesting the crops. The other 80% interns will be involved with maintenance of farm machinery, equipment and buildings; cultural practices like weed control, spraying chemicals, fertilizer application, pest control management, etc.; and other general farm task (maintenance of yard, mowing grass, painting and fixing buildings, etc.).

Also interns will learn to determine cost of production, bookkeeping, marketing practices (future market and hedging), time management, and problem solving skills. The skills acquired will varies according to the host and interns abilities.

Important notes

1. There's a limit of farms available for these types and depending on the financial situation and weather conditions it will vary year to year. Also, there is some activities, not mentioned above, that can be available and vary year to year. To obtain more information, please, contact the IFAA representative or coordinator.

2. Placements for women are limited to certain types of activities due to the difficulties due to suitable places to live. These categories are: grain crops, beef cattle, and fruit orchards.